Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Part 1/2: Seeking Intrinsic Motivation

A man I've met only twice, yet whose insight I greatly value, shared a wonderful saying at our second meeting. He too left his job to pursue his dreams. He currently is living in the desert in his RV, works remotely doing IT, and is traveling America. His name is Des, and at our second meeting he asked a table of our friends this question:

"What do you want to accomplish before you die?"

Weighing one's satisfaction with life, at the point of death, was a new perspective I had not considered before. Yes, there have been vague ideas and milestones I hope to reach, but they had never been given the filter of death. When considering my own expectations for life, the imminence of death pressed me to think about what would give my life the most meaning so I could die feeling fulfilled.

Fashion, first and foremost, made my list of things to do before I die. Whether as a designer or in some other capacity I want to work with menswear to create products and build brands. I want to meet as many professionals in the industry as possible and learn from their experiences. Fashion is one of the best platforms for building a personal identity and I would love to see more men feeling confident in developing their style. Following this round table with Des, he offered this saying to counterbalance his first question:

In the pursuit of happiness it is good to occasionally pause to: Just. Be. Happy.

It is so true. When all of our energy is focused on the future it becomes difficult to enjoy the present. I am guilty of this. Following your dreams may be the right path to take, but following the correct career path doesn't protect you from doubt.

To push past doubt you have to know in your own heart, that the dreams you are chasing are worth fighting for. You have to know that no matter what anyone else says, you are being true to yourself. You have to recognize that while you might not have all the answers now, you will have them one day. So in the meantime, while pursuing your dreams and seeking happiness, you need to pause to just be happy.

Yesterday I stayed up late to enjoy binge watching a Netflix show with my girlfriend. Today I took time to meet with two of my closest friends. I still feel the fear that I have a lot left to do, but I am making an effort to not compromise my present. Tomorrow isn't promised so make the most of today. Thank you to Des for the reflective discussion and for reminding us to value the present while pursuing the future.

Read Part 2/2: Thurston's Action PlanI will share what steps I'm taking to accomplish my major goal of working in fashion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment