Thursday, January 12, 2017

Recap: London Fashion Week F/W 2017

Thanks to the kindness of John O'Sullivan, of Gladstone London, I have had the most incredible experiences at London Fashion Week Men's. 

London Fashion Week Men's ended on January 10th and I would like to review the happenings of this amazing jam-packed event. As the caption above states, I was able to pursue my dreams in London thanks to the kindness of one man, John O'Sullivan. 

This recap will begin in September 2016, when I was preparing to leave my corporate job as a graphic designer and hotel merchandiser. I was so full of fear yet I managed to overcome it by following my friend Jorge's advice: I visualized what I wanted, not what I feared. I imagined a future where I would make great connections at Fashion Week, I would learn a lot, and I would feel like I was taking control of my life. I bought plane tickets; made Airbnb reservations; and registered with the event organizers as a blogger.

The future I visualized came true.

London is the first to host Fashion Week each season so I began emailing the designers who had showed that previous season. I requested informational interviews which I would post to my blog and I got some surprising yeses; chief among them was John. However, we were unable to coordinate our schedules (or diaries as their known in the UK) so John offered to provide me with a wristband to Fashion Week. The wristband would grant me access to the London Fashion Week Men's building so we could meet in person. 

In one email, John may very well have changed my life.

Not only was I able to meet John in person, but I met his Merchandiser, Designer, and one of his Investors. It felt like a miracle that these events led to me standing with this group of fashion professionals. 

As the days passed I learned so much about the industry and met some really wonderful people. 99% of my lingering doubt was erased when I saw a stack of nearly 50 business cards representing all the people I had spoken with, knew by name, and had made an impression with. These personal connections will lead to more interview opportunities and I'm delighted! 

The 37 brands I've had the pleasure of getting to know at the F/W 2017 London Fashion Week Men's are listed below: 
Alfie Douglas, Beau Homme, Briston, Castore, Chucs, Donhall & Bell, Dozoh, Ecole de Pensee, Emily Carter, Enlist, Eone, Ettinger, Frenn, Gandhum, Gladstone, Good News, Home of Homme, Honest Man, Ka Wa Key, Kocca, Labrum, Lamler, Logan Mackay, Look Mate, Mehm+, Meng, Natural Selection, Newgate, Northskul, Oppermann, Redmeteor Design, Swole Panda, Verena Schepperheyn, Waven, Yhim, Yoomi, and 3000.Systems. 

As the Fashion Week and trade fair season winds down I will begin posting interviews with many of these brands. In the mean time I will express my gratitude a final time to John from Gladstone and then as always, I wish you all success!

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a successful event with tons of new contacts! Neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always like to see fashion show especially in uk

    Bridal Dresses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! What stands out for you at the UK shows?

      Delete
  3. If being fashionable has never been your forte in past times, you may well be feeling a little bit daunted at the notion of going clothes shopping. The secret to success this is to continually seek some help. 


    http://fashion-kornar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete