Tuesday, May 23, 2017

NYC Atelier in the Sky


Jonathan Meizler and I first met at TRANOƏ in Paris (men’s designer tradeshow). He and his business partner, Rony Zeidan, are the innovators behind the luxury accessories brand, Title of Work. Ties adorned with imported scarab wings, hand-sewn embroidery, and an articulated, sterling beetle/moth ring, were a few of the eye-catching pieces on display. The duo were kind enough to offer me a tour of their studio in New York City for Fashion Week, and the next week I followed up on their offer. Walking past countless flower shops on 28th Street, I arrived at their studio and made my way up to the light-filled penthouse, where I was able to speak with Jonathan about his collection.



You have such a great view from up here!

Thank you – I never tire of it… I love the view of the water towers – they epitomize New York for me. They give so much character to the city. The water towers do rupture though. We actually had a massive flood in our space last year when the main tower pipe burst and an inordinate amount of water gushed in from the ceiling. It was a disaster, but water is cleansing so we took at as a sign…



Can you tell me about the contemporary art pieces that feature your ties?
I created several sculptures based on various season’s collections. The few pieces on display include a white and black ‘dissection’ diptych made from mixed media including leather, wax and crystals. A second piece is a wood and lucite sculpture entitled ‘vivi-section.’ Each layer depicts materials used in the construction of a necktie from fabric to thread and interlining. The third piece is a cashmere tie in a cloche – hand beaded with hundreds of rattlesnake vertebrae, finished with an onyx stones.



Embroidered horsefly necktie in navy/red.

What do you love about fashion?
I find intrinsic pleasure in the creative process. I value craftsmanship in detailed and thoughtful design. It is a wonderful form of self-expression for myself and whomever purchases the piece. I am fortunate to have a ‘working atelier’ where the majority of the collection – both samples and production, are developed and made in-house.



Nine sterling wasps necktie and three styles of lapel pins

Why did you decide to expand into jewelry?
The idea of the jewelry came about organically and perhaps even sustainably. At the onset, we embroidered our neckwear with sterling silver, black diamonds, and 18k gold components. I found that many of the amulets used would be ideal for cufflinks and tie bars, and eventually bracelets, necklaces and rings were introduced. I enjoy design challenges in both form and function and always look to find thoughtful solutions to them. Our wrap bracelet is a good example of this. Several types of sterling chains are mixed with hand woven Italian leather creating a ‘multi-wrap’ effect so when worn it looks like you’re wearing several bracelets but really it’s just one.


Will you introduce other materials in the future?
I am always interested in incorporating new elements or materials that work with my aesthetic and source new technologies as well as natural resources.

Do you think you’ll expand into apparel one day? 
As of now, I am inspired by the world of accessories – creating ‘one-of a kind pieces’ that tell a story. With accessories there's no issue with fit, and you can push the design, as accessories are a detailed focal point in an outfit. Perhaps one day I will create a ready-to-wear collection… but for now I’m good. 

Solid black organza oversized bowtie and lapel pin.

Do you have goals for the future or are you enjoying the present? 
Enjoying the present. Though I have many goals…
Thank you to Jonathan for sharing your story! Additional information about Title of Work is available on their website and Instagram.

1 comment:

  1. Thank You for sharing this post. I really Like your content. Hope you will share more information about flower shops flower shops in Fort Worth

    ReplyDelete