Thursday, February 9, 2017

Torras = Knitwear + Leather

As the only brand representing Spain at this January's Project/MRKET, I was pleased to speak with Jose Maria, the third generation owner of Torras. He told me about the brand's founding and how Spanish tanned leather forms the basis for his family business.

What is the history of this brand?

My grandmother started this label in 1951. She started making knitwear so I’ve grown up among knitting machines. You have to love this business; I’ve been in the family business for 30 years now. In Spain there are not many new people learning how to make luxury products. We are proud to have skilled craftspeople make our products in Spain.


How has the style of the brand changed over time?
We’re careful to maintain our brand image no matter the trend. Every product has Spanish leather on it, and we specialize in mixing knitwear with leather.

What’s your core product?
[Shows me a brown sweater] You can guess it’s a Torras jacket! The mix of knit and leather with hand sewn details. Torras garments are recognizable and unique because of the way we work on leather. I would guess that 6 hours of work go into every sweater. 


What does success mean to you?
Success means that my customers love the brand. When you see a jacket, it needs to tell you something, make you feel something. Over our 66 years of intense and good work we have won loyal fans of the brand, which is something we are really proud of. We have to maintain a good relationship with them.

Thank you for your time Jose Maria. I wish you continued success! To see more of the Torras collection you may visit their website, or browse their Instagram

0 comments:

Post a Comment