Thursday, February 2, 2017

Finding Political Liberation in Fashion

Founded amid the 2014 political upheaval in Hong Kong, Curtis Li Studio takes a conceptual approach to fashion that aims to express more than what meets the eye. Shown below is the AW17 collection along with a narrative by founder and designer, Curtis Li.

Why did you chose to start a fashion brand? 
I take a lot of inspiration from humanity and political unrest; especially in Hong Kong. Fashion is my platform for expressing my views of human rights. Human rights never end. There will always be something for me to say about this topic.

Did you have to overcome any doubts or fears?
It’s risky to use political messages in business in Hong Kong. I don’t fear the new government, I just don’t support it, and it might make it challenging to secure funding. I’m preparing for this by seeking investment elsewhere.

Are there any benefits to be being based in Hong Kong?
It’s easy for me to source materials because I’m near China. I can spend a week getting to know a factory.

In Asia, where fair skin is so desirable that stores offer skin-whitening products, would you consider it progressive to feature a black model as you have in your past two campaigns? 
It’s in keeping with my value of human rights. It can be difficult to find a black model in Hong Kong but I found him. I’ve used the same model for the past two seasons. I find that when a group of people has less power than the majority, or is faced with challenges, they are usually the kindest people you will meet. The black community has a history of fighting for their rights, and more recently there were renewed movements, so I wanted to show my point of view by using this model.

Image from the SS17 collection. 

What has been the most helpful business skill you have learned?
Online marketing. I’m getting a clearer idea of how to communicate and promote through platforms such as Instagram and Facebook. As a younger brand without a big marketing budget it’s important to learn how to promote the brand on social media.

What is your favorite part of the work day?

It’s difficult to pick a specific part because as I like building something from scratch. I enjoy the creative process as a whole. Even posting on Instagram, looking for inspiration, and reviewing my business model etc.


Where do you go when you need to focus?
Not my office studio! I go hiking. Especially when I’m really stressed. There are easy hiking trails in Hong Kong. It’s like meditation being surrounded by nature.

What does success mean to you?
I won’t know. I’m restless and am always looking at how I can improve. I don’t see an end to this journey and that makes me happy. I enjoy reaching milestones but I always think I could do better and that motivates me to keep working. I feel like professionally and personally we can always be better so that’s what I’m working towards.


What is the next goal for your brand?
I have many plans! Before launching my brand I had a goal to get three stockists in Europe in the first 5 seasons of business. I realize that this goal is not that big now. I believe that fashion brands will and should change their business models to focus on direct-to-customer. That’s how you get direct feedback from your customers. Within the next two years I want to have a solid plan for adding a direct to customer approach to my business model.


Thank you for your time Curtis and I wish you continued success! To see more from the Curtis Li Studio, you may visit his website or browse his Instagram.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment