Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Car Designer Turned Shoe Designer


Represented in the UK by the agency, Dyelog, Redmeteor was a unique men’s shoe brand I found at London Fashion Week Men’s. Korean founder and designer, Seok SangHo, has one particular style of shoe that takes a classic dress shoe with wingtip detailing and adds an unexpected pop of color on the arch of the foot. I was so fascinated by the shoe that came back each day to look at the shoes. Thank you to Sara Morel at Dyelog for facilitating this interview!

What do you love about fashion?I think fashion is magic. Just as good magic realizes people’s dreams and vitalizes people’s hearts, good fashion moves people’s hearts. I love this magical power that fashion has.

How did your experience in car design help your transition to fashion? While engaged in vehicle design I focused on proportions and this has helped me greatly in shoe design. Cars and shoes have many things in common. They are both used when we move around and comfort is important for both. Comfortable shoes start with good proportions.

  

The Shield style is offered in many bright colors. 

Which mentor has played the biggest role in your career?Since I am not from a fashion design background, there is no mentor who helped me in fashion. However, my favorite designers are Dior and Berluti. The designer who left the deepest impression is Peter Schreyer. When I worked at the KIA Motors’ design centre, I worked with him. Peter Schreyer is a famous designer from Audi, and he is also known as one of the world’s top three designers. As I worked with him I learned a lot from him to stick to my own design principles regardless of any pressure. I am putting all my effort into becoming a designer with conviction, just like Peter Schreyer.

Why did you chose to start your own company?I wanted to create my own original style and I wanted to show it to the world. I also hoped my new style would be loved by people for a long time. In order to do that I needed to show people who I am. So, I established my own company, created a new logo, and started my own original shoe design. As I do not have any experience in management I am learning by trial and error. I am happy and content when I feel that I am growing as a designer. Having not worked for a shoe design company before, I feel that I am paving a new way, and overcoming the new challenges. Even if my style ends up as a not-famous or not-long-lasting style, I think this is definitely worth trying for designers.

  


What do you offer consumers that your competitors do not?Mainly two things – First, we use a special material called ‘super fabric’ that was showcased during London Fashion Week Men’s. This special material has very long durability and is not easily stained. This material is used in luxury cars like Italian Ferrari. Secondly, we have a signature look so our shoes can be noticed at a glance. World-famous motor companies have their original style. Thus, people can notice the brand of a car in just a short glimpse.

How do your shoes make feet/legs look longer?Our signature helps the feet look longer. This not only allows people to notice our shoes, but also helps feet to look longer and slimmer. If your feet look longer, your legs will accordingly look longer.

 

Jedi White shoes

What professional achievement has been the most meaningful to you? Participating in London Fashion Week Men’s was the most meaningful recent event because I never imagined showing in London when I started the company.

What do you want to achieve in order to feel like you are successful? I hope people will love my brand. I wish to show in Paris and Milan next time.

  

Shield shoes in brown and green

Thank you for your thoughtful responses Sang Ho. I wish you continued success! For more information for Red Meteor Design you may visit his website and browse Instagram.


2 comments:

  1. This incorporates number of past proprietors, if the auto was engaged with any mischances, any past mechanical disappointments and its upkeep history. used camaros for sale in ga

    ReplyDelete