Saturday, February 25, 2017

A Female Perspective On Menswear

Launched in 2013, ME:YOOMI showed an interesting range of outerwear at London Fashion Week Men's which caught my eye. Most memorable were a jacket with a polka dot pattern crushed into the fabric and a cape with an embroidery of Mona Lisa's face with Medusa's hair of snakes. Designer Yoomi Choo tells us about her brand below.

What do you love about fashion?I love seeing the moment when people wear my clothes and are happy. That is the most important reason why I design clothes. I also want to take part in that happiness. It is my brand philosophy that when people are happy with their clothes they gain confidence and self-esteem. I want to make clothes that add value to the people dressed in them. The clothes truly become a luxury item once the customer puts them on and feels confident.
 

What was your very first job in fashion and what did you learn from it?My first job in fashion was as a manger at a luxury boutique. I managed all affairs from receiving customers to selling. That boutique offered tailoring services where I learned about custom-made clothing from classic dresses to high end suits. The experiences during that time have been very helpful for me today as a designer.

Which mentor has played the biggest role in your career? How did they help you?I have one mentor who has had the biggest influence on my career. A wholesale dealer who believed in me really gave me the confidence to turn my vision into a business. Thanks to her help and collaboration I was invited to Who’s Next in Paris. I have always been grateful to her for that.

What do you find interesting about menswear as opposed to womenswear?Frankly speaking, I think a man’s body is more beautiful than a woman’s. I formed this opinion during a nude sketch class I had in university and still have this view today. I am pretty interested in a man’s body line. There is a commercial limit to how dramatic men’s clothes can be, but minute design details can also make a big impact. I’m interested in how minute adjustments can change the fit and compliment a man’s body.
  

What is unique to ME:YOOMI?I prefer subtlety to excess. I have a consistent brand image which I am intentionally slow to change because it makes the customers feel confident with the styles offered. Usually men design menswear so I provide a different perspective on masculinity which is not as macho and appeals to ladies as well.

What is the biggest challenge in selling to both Western and Eastern consumers?Although there are differences in taste between Western and Eastern, and also between countries and regions, the biggest problem is sizing. My clothes are mainly slim fit, so sizes need to be different based on the country.

What PR moment has been the most exciting for you? How was it significant for your brand?I was very happy with Seoul Fashion Week because I was able to have my own runway show time but even more touching was the opening of the Who's Next runway show in Paris. As ME:YOOMI was shown on the electric bulletin I felt so happy. To show my clothes in Paris, the center of the world of fashion, was the starting point for my design career. That show went very nicely because of the wonderful show planners. The most important thing for my brand is value. That is why the runway show at Who's Next, Paris, was so important; it heightens the value of ME:YOOMI.


What do you want to achieve in order to feel like you are successful?I had some success after my fashion shows in London and Paris – many buyers visited my showroom. I think I will feel like a success when I see many people uploading Instagram or Facebook photos of themselves in ME:YOOMI and they look happy.


When you need to focus, what do you do or where do you go, so you can do your best work?I usually enjoy quiet time alone at work to focus. I stay quiet, listen to music, read books, then I start my work. When I feel uninspired I drive to the riverside or seashore and stay there a while until I have new ideas and then come back. Working alone and in the quiet makes me better.

Thank you for your time Yoomi. I wish you continued success! To learn more about ME:YOOMI visit her website, or browse Instagram.

0 comments:

Post a Comment